LCD or LED video walls and which is better
Video walls are fast becoming increasingly popular in Australia and appear to be popping up in every store and shopfront, there are several advantages to having one in-store, however before you dive in and purchase a video wall for your business, it is important to consider your business’s requirements.
We will be comparing Direct View LED Video Walls (DLED for short) to LCD video walls, as these are the two most popular choices and are very different types of display technology, this is where you really have to consider the use case of your video wall before you make a decision.
Determine your businesses use case
The two most popular use cases are environmental or for in-store advertising. Video Walls are great for creating an inviting and exciting environment which attracts people in-store and keeps them there longer. In-store advertising is great for informing the public about specific products, services, or promotions.
The type of information you have on the display, the distance from viewer, the viewing angle, and the size and shape of the available space are important to consider before you choose a video wall solution.
The Difference between DLED and LCD Video Walls
Direct View LED Video Walls are made up of several individual panels of LED’s, which are put together to create a digital display of any shape or size.
LCD video walls are put together using several LCD screens and are limited in their shape and size, which is the same technology and appearance to your TV at home. In fact, the first video walls were just a bunch of TV screens and were often referred to as “multi-screen displays”, “monitor walls”, or “video arrays”.
LED Video Wall Advantages
One thing is for certain; If you plan to have a display that is outdoors, or in direct sunlight, LED Video Walls are the clear winner. LED walls are very bright, and they can withstand harsh weather conditions.
Benefits of LED over LCD for Video Walls.
- LED video walls are much brighter than LCD Video walls, making them much more suitable in bright environments
- Wider viewing angles means that the display can be seen clearly by more people, even while not standing directly in front of the display.
- LED has a much longer life span over LCD displays.
- Zero bezels means that the display will have a seamless image.
- LED Video Walls are much more energy efficient, saving money on your energy bills.
- Have higher contrast and more vibrant colours.
LCD Video Wall Advantages
LCD is an older technology and has far fewer benefits, but there are some use cases where they may be better suited. Like when the videowall is touch capable and the viewer is standing very close to the display, due to the higher clarity requirements as the display is meant to be viewed very close up. However, LED walls are quickly closing the gap and new products with ever higher resolutions are hitting the market every year.
Benefits of LCD over LED for Video Walls
- LCD video walls are typically cheaper making them more cost effective.
- Have a higher resolution and will appear more crisp when viewers are close.
- No moiré effect, LED panels with higher pixel pitches can create unwanted visual artifacts, wavy lines and distortion when filmed with a camera.
LCD video walls are usually only purchased due to the lower costs, or for when they are meant to be touch interactive and maintain a high level of clarity from an arm’s length away. If the display is meant to be viewed from more than a few metres away, then Direct View LED Video Walls are almost always the better choice.